Tuesday, October 24, 2006

You Make Everything Groovy (HOL 47)





House of Laughter 47

Isaac just went to sleep. I read him “The Very Hungry Caterpillar” by Eric Carle. When we got to the pages where the caterpillar ate through different fruits (leaving holes in the pages), Isaac would stick his fingers through the holes. I would grab his finger from the back side of the page and he would laugh. It was as funny the first time as it was at the end when the caterpillar ate through a leaf.

Nancy is at the church helping to prepare for the Halloween festival. This just another reason I love my church. It’s Halloween, not “Fall Festival” or “Harvest Celebration”. We have had haunted houses and scary costumes (including a great evil clown costume last year.) Isaac is going as “Max” from “Where the Wild Things Are” (This is what happens when you have a librarian mother.) Nancy made a really cool costume, and I bought him a little plush Wild Thing. I was going to dress up as a Wild Thing, but couldn’t decide if I wanted to be Neve Campbell or Denise Richards (Sorry).

Nancy is also going away with some girlfriends this weekend, so Isaac and I are going to have the run of the house. I’m planning on taking him to Carowinds Saturday with Jeff Sasser and his two boys, Adam and Daniel. Isaac is tall enough to ride on nine different rides. I can list them from memory which is more than a little sad.

Isaac has developed a new habit that I will have to get a picture of some morning. He has two stuffed dogs he sleeps with “Max” and “Buddy Bassett”. In the morning, he gets up and carries these two dogs everywhere he goes. Of course he calls them both “Cat”, but it is still pretty damn cute.

Right now he is really into cars and dinosaurs. I bought him a set of three cars with a tractor trailer. They were “Mega Blocks” (a cheap knockoff of Lego), so the cars come apart. When he is home he either has one of those cars or a stuffed dog in his hand at all times.

In his new class at school, they do art projects. I know it is just a Xerox copy of the outline of a brontosaurus, with three yellow lines scribbled on it, but you wouldn’t believe the skill and precision he put into the work. Wait until you see his minimalist deconstruction of “Fire Dog”. He put black spots all over the dog, and the fire house…..brilliant!!! My buddy Dan says that in parenting, sanity is a disadvantage.

We went to Virginia Beach this weekend. I went to a conference and Nancy hung out with her family. Nancy didn’t know her parents were going to be there. They arrived about five hours before us and checked into the same hotel. I knew which room they were in, and I walked Nancy, carrying a sleepy Isaac, to the door and tried my key. My in-laws were hiding in the dark on the other side of the door. The door opened, and Nancy walked into the darkened room, and noticed that there were already suitcases opened on the floor. She turned to leave, and my mother in law turned on the light.

Nancy said the “Brown” word very loudly as she was running for the door. It was pretty funny. Nancy’s parents watched him Saturday night, so we could go out on a date to see “The Prestige” (it rocked….go see it before you read or hear anything about it.).

Life is good here. I will write again after Saturday and post some Halloween party and Carowinds pics.

Strength and Honor

Big Matt

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home