Sunday, May 13, 2007

The New Place (HOL 63)






House of Laughter 63

We are living halfway between our old house and new house. Most non-essentials are at the new house, and what is still here is what we “need” to survive (beds, food, internet, X-box). It has been a busy weekend.

One morning last week after Nancy had left for work (I was still half asleep in bed), Isaac came in asking me to read to him. I told him to go pick out some books and I would read. Of course he came back with “Go Dog Go” and “Goodnight Moon”. I lifted him into bed, snuggled up with him, and set the book on the side of my head. (I no longer need to actually see the books to know what words are on each page….In the great green room there was a telephone and a red balloon and a picture of the cow jumping over the moon.)

My eyes were still closed as I dozed and read the now coma inducing book. Isaac normally points out the moon on every page, but this morning, he pointed to the book and said “Tiger” and growled. I said, “Isaac there are no tigers in this book”. And he pointed again and said, “Tiger”. I opened my eyes, and damned if there isn’t a tiger skin rug in the little bunny’s bedroom! I suppose the father bunny is some sort of big game hunter.

I told Nancy about this and she said he has pointed to a small doll on a shelf in the book and said “Baby”. I’m tempted to play the “Dark Side of the Moon” album while I read it to see if there is anything else hidden in there I hadn’t noticed.

I’ve mentioned before that Isaac is obsessed with shoes. I can be in checking my e-mail in the morning, and if I am still in my socks, Isaac will go and get my work shoes and put them in front of me one at a time until I put them on.

This morning, Isaac was up at 5:30 in the morning. Nancy went to check on him, and when she asked what he wanted, he replied “Shoes”. Like any normal woman in the bizarre world of motherhood at 5:30 in the morning, she put a pair of shoes on him, and he went right back to sleep for another couple of hours.

He had been up late the night before. We went and saw Spiderman 3 at the drive in. We dressed him up in his Spiderman jammies (okay, there are a very few characters marketed at children that I encourage him to identify.) He spent most of the time checking out the 11 month old girl in the next truck over. He’d smile at her and then lean back with his arm on the rail of the truck, sippy cup casually held in his right arm, and a look on his face that will serve him well with the ladies in about 20 years.

He made it about halfway through the movie and then fell asleep across me. He has definitely been a daddy’s boy lately. I’m the only one who can get him down for a nap and can calm him down when he is cranky. I’m also much more firm with discipline because, “With great power comes great responsibility”.

Strength and Honor,
Big Matt

2 Comments:

At 9:24 AM, Blogger alex said...

I must say: Judging from this story and others, Isaac is starting to sound disturbingly intelligent. We're talking "Stewie" smart, where he'll have to decide one day whether to use his powers for good or evil.

I am of course rooting for evil.

 
At 10:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Riley and Isaac are following the same pattern. Riley loves Go Dogs Go and if we're anywhere near her sandbox it's "shoes" till we put hers and ours on.

In response to Alex's "Stewie" comment, be sure to check out the season finale of Family Guy (and Simpsons for that matter) this Sunday. Family Guy has some Back to the Future-esque plot where Peter sees what would happen if Quagmire married Lois (all the kids faces are shaped liked Quagmire's)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home