Thursday, December 18, 2008

Scattered Christmas Thoughts (HOL 80)






House of Laughter 90

Isaac was extremely concerned this morning when he came downstairs. “Daddy, we don’t have a fireplace!”, he notified me as I ate my Food Lion knock off Cheerios. Isaac had evidently been pondering how Santa was going to get into our house. I assured him that we did have a fireplace, we just didn’t use it that often, and showed him where the gas logs are.

He examined it carefully then gave me a skeptical look. I assured him that even though it looked small, Santa managed to bring presents in through it last year, so not to worry. I don’t know how Santa will get a bike down there though.

Later while I was in the shower, he brought his toy gun into the bathroom and closed the door behind him. He told me that Mr. Oogey Boogey was driving his car to our house and had a possum with him. Isaac was going to pull his string and then step on all of the bugs inside him. Such is the moment by moment surrealism of life with a three year old. (Mr. Oogey Boogey is the bad guy from Nightmare Before Christmas…he looks like a burlap sack filled with insects, and tries to eat Santa Claus…..yeah that’s some fine parenting there Matt)

We went out to see a display of Christmas lights (3007 Kilkenny, Greensboro) with some friends tonight, and on the way home, we listened to our 2008 Christmas C.D. featuring the all time classic, “Santa Claus is a Black Man”. Isaac asked me to crank up the music, then after a few minutes said, “She is singing that Santa Claus is a Black man, but he’s not.” As I was driving through thick fog at the time, I didn’t have time to come up with an acceptable explanation on the fly. Nancy responded, “When did you see him?” This seemed to appease him. He then used his toy gun to shoot at some bears that were at McDonalds. I guess you only get three, maybe four Christmas with Santa.

I’ve been teaching Isaac how to play checkers, and he seems to really enjoy it. He especially likes chanting “King Me! King Me!” When he makes it across the board.

Isaac watched “The Wizard of OZ” for the first time Sunday. It was the first time I had seen it in several years, but seeing it with Isaac was special. I had the old videotape from when Ali and I were kids and taped it off a C.B.S. broadcast with the occasional cheesy 80’s commercial thrown in. I didn’t tell Isaac much about it before we began ( I wanted the switch to color to be a surprise.)

He wasn’t scared, but he did sit on my lap the whole time, and my hands had to be wrapped around his waist. Watching with him reminded me of what a big deal it was to see Wizard of OZ on TV when I was a kid. It only came on once or twice a year, and if we were lucky, Ali and I got to stay up late to watch it even if it was a school night. I remember being more afraid of the Wizard than of the Witch, (a point that Isaac agrees with strongly).

I also remembered the movie incorrectly. I thought that the bulk of the movie was Dorothy traveling from Munchkin land to OZ, when that’s really only about four scenes long. It was really cool to see it again from a child’s perspective.

I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas. Fair winds and calm seas to those of you traveling. Peace to those who see Christmas as a reminder of what is missing in their lives. Dona Nobis Pacem

Strength and Honor

Big Matt

P.S. Happy Birthday Alex Wayne!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home