Tuesday, November 21, 2006

No Such Thing as a Sanity Clause (HOL 51)





House of Laughter 51

First off, I have to make a correction. In my last e-mail, I copied a News and Record article about a storyteller coming to Cone. The grant that Nancy applied for that I mentioned in the e-mail was to buy copies of the book “Freedom on the Menu: the Greensboro Sit Ins” for each classroom, and to have the author come speak to the school in February.

Last Thursday night while Nancy was at school for the storyteller program, Isaac and I went out to eat together. I wanted to go someplace that Nancy wouldn’t normally go to. Hooters was too far out of the way, but Cici’s (rhymes with feces) Pizza was in a shopping center where I had to do a few errands.

When we got there, the place was packed with kids. I also realized that doing a buffet while alone with a toddler is not the smartest idea. I went next door to Pita Delite. There were three slightly bored young women working at the counter. I ordered a gyro for myself and the kids meal (three overcooked, vaguely dinosaur shaped lumps of pressed chicken cartilage according to the menu) for Isaac. I struggled to get Isaac, the diaper bag, the tray, and a high chair to the table. A woman behind me in line offered to carry my tray.

She smiled knowingly and told me she had been there before. I was grateful for her kindness.

After dinner, Isaac and I walked up to Harris Teeter. I don’t mind walking at his pace. We made it halfway, and Isaac tripped, whacking his head against the concrete. The thud was pretty damn loud. Isaac cried while I carried him the rest of the way to the grocery store. He had a nice looking bump on his forehead.

While we were checking out, the clerk asked if it was okay if he gave my little girl a balloon. I declined, and told him that Isaac was actually a little boy. He apologized, and I told him it was fine, but if he ever made the mistake around Isaac’s mother he would get the “I hate you” look.

It’s funny because last night we took Isaac to the Four Seasons mall to see Santa. (This will be%

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home