Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Hello, I’m Johnny Effing Cash. (HOL 105)






House of Laughter 105

I take some measure of pride that Isaac can pick out a Johnny Cash, White Stripes or Mountain Goats song even if he has never heard it before just by listening to the instruments and voices. This will be an important skill for his future geekdom.

We were listening to Sirius radio on the way home from Florida Monday night, and the Cash song, “Big River” came on. I didn’t think Isaac was familiar with it, so I waited until the end and asked, “Isaac, do you know who that was singing?”

As soon as I asked, the “Outlaw Country” DJ, Mojo Nixon announced, “That was “Johnny fucking Cash!”

Isaac piped up from the back seat, “It was Johnny Cash, but he said it was ‘Johnny fucking Cash”.

As much as I appreciate Mojo’s enthusiasm for Cash’s body of work, I didn’t realize it was he was going to voice it in such a colorful manner. Thanks Mojo!

I looked at Nancy and could tell she was going to be no help at all. She was doing everything she could to stifle laughter. I was just flabbergasted, not just at the word coming out of my son’s mouth, but the impeccable comedic timing of the universe.

I calmly explained that he was not in trouble, but that was an adult word. If he ever said it at church, school, or around us, he would get in trouble. (Maybe not church, Depends on who is doing the children’s sermon I suppose.)

Last week Isaac came downstairs and told me that he found a picture of the hole monster in one of his books. I gave him a puzzled look and asked, “What is a hole monster?’ The look he gave me conveyed a sense of pity for his poor simpleton father.

“You know, the hole monster that ate Boba Fett!”

“Sarlacc son….use the scientific name.”

For Christmas, my folks gave Isaac a stuffed grizzly bear two pack: A mother and baby bear. I can’t tell you how much joy I have gotten watching Isaac introduce the two bears two his favorite sleep toy, “Blackie Bear”. Evidently they are all cousins.

Strength and Honor.
Big Matt

P.S. Come back later this week. I am planning on posting more stories about the holidays.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home