Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Say "Uncle!" (HOL 106)






House of Laughter106

Being an Uncle is having all of the fun stuff of being a parent, but with considerably less effort. I will probably not have any more kids of my own, but I love all four of my nieces and my nephew.

My sister’s daughter, Lily, makes me laugh out loud. Her personality and wit remind me so much of my grandmother. Her brother Eli is so gentle and tenderhearted and is always so excited to see Isaac.

There are three nieces on Nancy’s side of the family. Cassidy will always have a special place in my heart. She is the dancer, performer, and princess. Faith is extremely clever and full of spunk. She is feisty and energetic. Jordyn, being the youngest, has adapted by being strong willed and independent. She and Isaac, the closest in age, have always had a love/hate relationship.

I see so much of not just their parents, but the extended family in each child.

I taught Lily the “Alpha-butt” song to her delight, and my sister’s chagrin. I flip Faith in the air and wrestle. I answer Cassidy’s call to play again and again until I am tired or dizzy. I make a point to tell each child I love them and miss them.

I won’t pretend things always work out perfectly. Kids fight. I get tired and snap. I want to have uninterrupted time with my adult family and in-laws without having to stop everything to get juice. The noise and mess created goes up exponentially with each child in the house.

I have to keep reminding myself that someday they will eat their Thanksgiving dinner and then go out with their friends. They will be too busy studying for finals to make a trip up to North Carolina.

Each time I see them, I am reminded of how fast time moves and that we have to enjoy every moment.

My dad comes from a big family and so I have a mixed bag of uncles to choose as role models, but at one point or another in my life each have been important to me. Some are long gone, some have set examples with their lives by being strong family men and hard workers, and one is earnestly trying to make up for past mistakes.

I hope one day I can be a trusted mentor and friend to each of these kids. For now, I will settle for being a monster, pony, sweaty dolphin (don’t ask), magician, singer, ballet attendee, knock-knock joke teller, dive watcher, bad impressionist, roller coaster buddy, but mostly co-conspirator in making their parents crazy.

Strength and Honor,
Big Matt

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home