Monday, May 15, 2006

Two Weeks (HOL 33)





House of Laughter 33

The last two weekends have been very busy, so I haven’t had much time or clarity of mind to sit and write. Last weekend I went up to Cincinnati with nine friends to ride roller coasters at King’s Island. (You may remember it from a “very special” episode of “The Brady Bunch”. Marsha’s Yogi bear poster got switched with Mike’s blueprints, and I don’t have to tell you, ALL HELL BROKE LOSE!)

The “Beer N’ Coasters” road trip series is something I’ve done with friends for a couple of years now. We’ve been to Busch Gardens, King’s Dominion , Universal Studios, Cedar Point, and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. This is my first trip with Isaac in the picture. Oddly enough, the only time I really missed him, was on the long van ride home. We were watching the movie “Raising Arizona”, and there are five little toe headed baby boys about Isaac’s age in the movie. It’s a goofy funny movie, but I got a lump in my throat wanting to see my own little boy.

This weekend, was “Mothers’ Day”. Nancy celebrated motherhood by leaving the boy and I at the house and going shopping. I walk a fine line because Nancy and I both agree that it is a made up holiday, and that we don’t have much money to spare on gifts, but at the same time the women I work with are constantly asking me what I bought for her. Oh yeah, there is also that whole “MILF” thing to consider too. Isaac and I made her a card with a word search puzzle which we agreed would be a pretty good present. At the last minute though, I made a trip to Target for wine, chocolates, and other goodies.

Yesterday was also “Youth Sunday” at our church. The youth preached, prayed, sang, played music, and led the whole worship service. I’ve known most of the teens for over half of their lives, and was very proud of all of them.

I’m grateful to be at a church where children and youth are allowed to lead in worship, and are actually listened to and respected. I’m looking forward to Isaac standing in front of the church with the rest of the children’s choir singing loudly while staring at the ceiling and clutching his genitals. (Much like my performance in the adult choir).

Isaac is still almost crawling and almost standing up. He has also started communicating that he wants to be picked up by putting both of his hands over his head.

We’ve changed his helmet as well. In honor of the King’s Island trip, his helmet now says “Son of Beast”.

Strength and Honor,

Big Matt

P.S. I wanted my main letter to be about Isaac, but I still wanted to write a little more about the trip. We rented a 15 passenger van and drove up to Cincinnati on Saturday morning. We stopped at Hofbrauhaus in Newport, Kentucky (right across the river from “Cin” City.) Hofbrahaus is a really cool German beer hall/ brewery with a live polka band. We ended up dancing on the tables, singing the “Hofbrauhaus Version” of ‘Doe-a-Deer’, and someone in our group ended up in a parade around the hall, lifting their shirt for dollar bills.

We went to the park on Sunday morning. Our pastor, Michael Usey, is a master of B.S., and somehow got four of our group into the park before it opened. We rode “The Beast”, “Tomb Raider”, “Vortex”, and “The Italian Job”. The “Flight of Fear”, mixed with a wild night at Hofbrauhaus, caused one of the brotherhood to call it an early day. We were a little disappointed that the “Son of Beast” was closed, but ended our day by riding “Drop Zone”, “Delerium”, and crowd favorite “Face/Off”.

The night was capped off by a boisterous visit to an Outback, and then back to the hotel for beers, video games, and movies. As I understand it, it was much like a “Promise Keepers” weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home