Monday, April 03, 2006

Only 66 More Years to Go Honey! (HOL 26)



















House of Laughter 26

I’m very tired right now, but I have not written in a while, and I have many stories to tell. We just came back from Virginia Beach this morning. We celebrated Nancy’s grandparents’ 75th wedding anniversary. There was a huge family party that was a lot more fun than I thought it would be. Nancy and I only counted two dumb-ass remarks (that we heard) about Isaac’s helmet, which was better than expected.

We stayed at a hotel on the beach. There were a few problems though: 1) We were right across from the elevators, so we heard them all night long; 2) we were right above the exit to the bar; 3) there was a cheerleading competition in town that weekend, and; 4) 80% of the hotel guests were cheerleaders and cheermoms from a private school in New Jersey. So there were cheerleaders shrieking and running down the halls until two in the morning.

Our hotel had an oversize Jacuzzi tub, and Isaac and I got in it and swam in the morning. We were having a good time when he suddenly started crying. I reached under him to pick him up and thought “I don’t remember putting a large ball of clay in the tub”…..yeah…..that was no ball of clay. I quickly scooped the boy out of the tub and called for Nancy. The “ball of clay” fell off and rolled across the room like a golf ball being chipped onto a putting green. It’s a Hell of a way to start a morning.

At breakfast, I noticed another couple in the restaurant staring at Isaac. I assumed that it was because he was making noise. I wanted to go over to the table and say “You are in a pancake house with the three bears painted on the wall, why are you staring at my child like he doesn’t belong?” I told Nancy, and she suggested that it was the helmet they were staring at.

We have two weeks until we go and see Dr. Argenta about the helmet again. I have to admit, I’m ready for the helmet to go. We keep it on Isaac’s melon all the time except when changing clothes and bathing. Last week, I treated myself to some “naked noggin” time. I had him sit on my chest without the helmet and I read “Casey at the Bat”. His hair is so soft with the helmet off. When the helmet is gone, I hope I don’t take for granted getting to see his head all the time.

Isaac has really bonded with one of his toys. It’s a stuffed octopus I’ve named “Ocho”. I need to remember to go buy about ten of them in case anything happens to him.

Isaac also discovered the joy of splashing in the tub tonight. He was having a great time splashing water with both hands. I then took a big plastic cup and poured a steady stream of water in front of him. He looked at it quizzically, and then reached out to touch it, and couldn’t seem to understand where it went or why it disappeared. For a few minutes tonight I got to see the world through his eyes, and saw the common-place in a new way.

One last touchy feely note, on the recommendation of my friend Paul Lowder, I picked up the book, “The World According to Mr. Rogers”. It is a collection of essays and songs written by the late Fred Rogers. There are many great, simple ideas about parenting and life, and I always feel relaxed after reading a couple of passages. I’m not normally one to recommend an inspirational book, but I have enjoyed this one.

Strength and Honor.

Matt

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home