Sunday, July 17, 2005

Harry Potter and the Belly Full of Baby (CTL 10)

Countdown to Laughter

Issue 10

Well Nancy decided that Isaac can go ahead and make his appearance. She finished Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince on Saturday afternoon. She finished the book and immediately went and packed her bag for the hospital. Later, she withdrew twenty dollars from the bank. This went into the bag so I would have money to go and get food while she is in the hospital. (She thinks of everything.) The hospital is within walking distance of Baja Fresh and Hardees, so I got that going for me. She already told me that when she is allowed to eat real food after the baby comes, she wants a Jersey Mike’s turkey sub. She also has a bottle of her favorite wine stashed somewhere around the house for when she gets home.

Back to the book, She gives it a big thumbs up and is curious about where the series is going from here. I hope Isaac gets her voracious appetite for reading. I’m sure there will be a big fight about who gets to read the Potter books out loud to Isaac. Nancy may have the experience, but I can do the goofy voices, so I bet I will be the people’s choice.

Nancy has not complained once about the heat. She stood in line in a 90 degree parking lot for about an hour for a wrist band to get into the midnight “Potter party”, and then waited in line about 45 minutes that night. I asked her several times to let me stand in her place so she could go inside and sit in the air conditioning, but she wouldn’t have it. I ended up walking down the strip mall to E.B. Games, looking like the worst husband ever.

Nancy was pretty restless last night. If you want the stats, the longest she went without violently kicking her legs is exactly sixteen seconds. She averaged about eleven seconds between each bout with ‘restless leg syndrome’. When I congratulated her on breaking her previous record of twelve seconds, she got up to watch television. Nancy also wanted me to tell you that there is nothing on TV at two in the morning.

During church this morning, I thought of what I thought was a pretty good joke. I whispered to Nancy that it would be funny half way through the service for her to lean over, whisper something in my ear, and then for the two of us walk out the back door with her holding her belly, and me steadying her. She chuckled, but didn’t go for it.

I just want to acknowledge all of the supportive e-mails we’ve received so far. We’ve got some good advice (You aren’t going to break the baby, it’s not as delicate as you think it is.), and some great encouragement (It’s going to be a change, but you will adapt to it.). One common bit of advice is for us to catch up on our sleep. I don’t really know how this is possible to do. I don’t know how far behind I am currently lacking in sleep, but I guess I’ll do my best.

One final word before I close. I want to thank my sister Ali for the nice e-mail she sent. I want to share the closing line of her e-mail. “It is so true that once you have a child, your heart will forever walk around outside of your body.”

Big Matt

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home