Friday, July 22, 2005

The Other Isaacs (CTL 15)

Countdown to Laughter

Issue 15

As of the doctor visit Friday morning, Nancy was 50% effaced and two centimeters dilated (Only eight more to go!!!!). Our other baby headline is that Isaac is going to have another girl cousin in Florida!!! Nancy’s sister is pregnant and the ultrasound suggests a female hat trick for the Armitage family. Poor Elijah (my nephew from my sister) and Isaac are going to have to fight to keep their G.I. Joes safe from being assimilated into the Barbie collective.

I forgot to mention one of our neat gifts we received in the mail yesterday from Nancy’s college roommate Meredith. A small envelope arrived in the mail filled with five bright blue felt cones decorated with little yellow airplanes. They are called Pee Pee Tee Pees. They are supposed to be placed over the penis while changing to soak up any errant showers. In the interest of making sure everything is completely baby safe, I tested them out, and they really only hold a few ounces before they become completely saturated.

If you are still reading, you are probably okay to read the next story. It is actually relevant to what I was writing earlier today about how you change when you become a parent. Jeff was telling me last night about how he was changing a diaper the other day, and a “flash flood” occurred. He told me that he calmly covered his son with his hand in order to prevent a major soak down, when it occurred to him, “There is another human being urinating on me right now, and I’m not even thinking about pulling my hand away.” This is the insanity of parenting.

I want to thank everyone who responded to my question about famous Isaacs. The most common response was Asimov (He’s the guy who wrote the Will Smith movie, I Robot.) Asimov was the author who came up with the three rules of robotics which have kept Sky Net in check for these many years.

  • D.J. Isaac was the second most popular response. I tried to listen to some of his music, but it’s that rave stuff. http://www.djisaac.com/
  • Isaac Bonewits is a cyber pagan. http://www.neopagan.net/ Somehow I don’t think he will be mentioned in the dedication service at College Park Baptist church.
  • Isaac Barrow, a British mathematician born in 1670. His father was linen draper by trade…….ooooooooooo!
  • This one was a surprise to me, Isaac Hanson. I always thought Hanson was a band of little girls. I guess you learn something everyday.
  • Isaac Shelby- First governor of Kentucky.

A redneck Kentucky joke would be too obvious, so I’ll skip to

  • Isaac Delgado- “Afro pop” artist. No kidding. It’s a type of salsa music, not something to do with frozen hair.
  • Ike Turner- The best music manager ever.
  • Itzhak Perlman- Evidently some fiddle player.
  • Isaac Mizrahi- He is a fashion designer and media ho.

There are quite a few scientific organizations with the acronym Isaac including:

  • The International Society of Arboriculture, Australia Chapter
  • International Symposium on Algorithms and Computation
  • The International Society for Archaeoastronomy and Astronomy in Culture
  • Innovative Scientific Analysis and Computing
  • International Society for Augmentive and Alternative Communication
  • Internet Security, Applications, Authentication, and Cryptography
  • Although these guys sound like a lot of fun, you can find me at the Isaac Butt Pub in Dublin. http://www.theisaacbutt.com/

Big Matt

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home